Sunday, October 23, 2011

Livin' It Up in Lubbock. . . part 2

Lubbock is one of our favorite stops on the way West because we get to see long-lost relatives.  My Uncle Earl, my Aunt Edith and my Cousin Mike and his wife, Kristen, all live here.  Uncle Earl recently lost my dear Aunt Louise, so this was a very special visit for us.  Earl is my mom's only brother (guess he was probably spoiled rotten by the girls, or they were tormented by him...depends on who you talk to!).  My Aunt Edith is my mom's oldest sister and is 90 years "young"!   I think she is going to outlive all of us.  Uncle Earl, Max and I all went over to the Assisted Living Facility to visit with her.  She is always so gracious and loving when we get a chance to visit.  I didn't think she was going to let go of me.  I think she is always glad to see girls since she only had boys to raise...lol.  It's hard for us to believe that she is still going strong (well as strong as a 90 year old can go) since she was diagnosed with a brain tumor when she was younger.  Once she got rid of that thing, she has outlived two younger sisters.  

 Aunt Edith with her baby brother, Uncle earl

 Love these two special people


I asked them if they were getting ready to race!

On Tuesday, my "Cuz" Mike and his wife, Kristen, came over to the Camper for supper.  We had a great visit telling tales to Max & Kristen about our adventures as kids.  Mike and the rest of the "boy cousins" all lived here in Lubbock while growing up.  When we lived in California, Janice and I always had fun when we would come back for our yearly visit.  Then we added Susan and Jan to the mix for even more fun.  Mike said that after we moved to NC, he would always wonder which accent we would show up with!!  I think we missed out on a lot of mischief also since Mike loves to tell the story of all the boys spending the night in the jailhouse with Papaw!  Papaw was my mom's dad, who was a Deputy Sheriff!!!  Jan told me, when we visited her in Oklahoma, that she was always jealous because SHE didn't get to go with them!!  

Kris and Mike

"Kissin' Cousins"?....hmm, maybe!!

Max didn't make the picture...somebody had to take it!!

Thanks, guys, for making this trip so special.  Hope to see you again soon!!!


1 comment:

  1. I really hate we missed skyping with Uncle Earl! I'm glad you got to spend some time visiting them!

    ReplyDelete